Rivian has 100,000 reasons to keep friends in high places.
The short version:
- Amazon ordered 100,000 electric delivery trucks from Rivian.
- Deliveries of the trucks should start in 2021.
- The order is for 10,000 on the street by 2022, and the other 90,000 by 2030.
- This is part of Amazon’s commitment to The Climate Pledge. This agreement demands the ones that sign it to make all possible efforts to go carbon neutral by 2040.
- Amazon is Rivian’s largest investor, having put $700 million into the company very early on.
Right now we don’t have any specs on the delivery trucks. What we do know is that Rivian has a modular system for building their vehicles. Hopefully, that will allow them to build these delivery trucks alongside the R1T and R1S. My fear is that in order to keep up with the order, Rivian will need to become a delivery truck company. It would kill me to see the R1T put on the sidelines.
You think Rivian can keep up with three product lines?