The short version:
- Volvo’s new XC40 Recharge uses Google’s new Android operating system.
- Although the interface will look similar to Volvo customers, this will be the first electric vehicle to use the OS.
- The new OS will over faster processing speed and more customization options.
- The system integrates Google Maps, Google Assistant, and the Google Play store as well as a host of other Android-supported apps.
- This integration will allow the XC40 to offer real-time traffic updates, display charging stations in the area, and show which ones have available stalls.
- There will also be over-the-air updates.
You know what they say, “If you can’t beat em’, join em.” Cars come out with new features every few years. We’re used to our tech coming out with new features every few months. Many car manufacturers in the past have tried to launch their own infotainment system and it just can’t keep up. Good for Volvo for integrating Google into their vehicles. Now they can take those R&D resources and push their electric format further. And for those worried about privacy, Google already knows everything about you, especially if you have a cell phone in your pocket.