The short version:
- Daimler Trucks North America (DTNA) has delivered its first two semi-trucks for daily use.
- NFI and Penske Truck have each taken delivery of Freightliner eCascadia models.
- Each semi is a Class 8 tractor.
- Sid Brown, CEO of NFI says they are at the forefront of a technological revolution.
- The eCascadia is going to enter full production in late 2021.
- DTNA plans to add 18 more eCascadias, and 10 eM2s (the little brother) into real-world testing by the end of the year.
I’m unfamiliar with any other manufacturers that are performing real-world tests with third parties. It’s great to see this happening. The article states that it’s going to be a long road before EV becomes mainstream in the trucking industry. I’m not sure I agree with that. Perhaps owner-operators will hold out because of cost, but I believe most fleet owners will be easily convinced when the cost savings is so obvious.