LMX releases an electric motorcycle / ebike Frankenstein, and it’s awesome.
The short version:
- LMX has released the 161 Freeride ebike.
- Top speed: 28 mph. Total weight: 55 lbs.
- The ebike can also be used as an electric motorcycle as it has a throttle integrated into the grip.
- The motor does not require peddle assist to operate, giving the rider power on demand.
- The ebike also sports dual chains. One for the motor, and one for the peddles.
- List price: $5,479
This thing looks awesome. The line between electric motorcycle and ebike is getting more and more blurry and the 161 Freeride isn’t helping. With a motor this large, purists will always shout that this isn’t a mountain bike! They’re right. It’s not. It’s an ebike, and there’s room enough for them in the industry.
I’m interested to see if having two chains is a noticeable improvement. On the one hand, it could create more efficiency between the two systems. On the other hand, it could just mean twice as much maintenance and twice as much chance for something to break. Time will tell. BTW, this is only available in the EU right now.